Stretch · Release · Relax
A New Way to Unwind
Discover the stretch, the release and the ultimate relaxation. Inspired by yoga-style stretches, the new HoMedics STRETCH Back Stretching Mat is preprogrammed with four sequences. Using a simple, handheld control, every treatment can be customised to perfect the intensity and suit your flexibility. STRETCH is for the yoga-less and the yoga lovers, combine your treatments with deep, slow breathing to unlock and enhance your relaxation.
“This is the best lower back stretch I’ve had. It’s so good”
It’s not breaking news that stretching every day is good for you. There are many benefits of limbering up for the day ahead whether you’re tied to the desk or staying active, stretching at least once a day can leave you feeling livelier and less stressed.
“Just the tonic for stiff backs”
Inspired by yoga, STRETCH guides you through a range of sequences, delivering the many benefits of calm and controlled stretching without leaving your mat. Every treatment has been designed by our yoga pro, the air chambers inflate gently to encourage your lumbar to stretch, release and relax.
HoMedics Back Stretching Mat
For The Best Everyday Stretches:
Tips on how to get the best from STRETCH
- By Karen Brown, Yoga instructor and Head Designer at HoMedics
1. Relax and let the mat do the work
Try to mindfully scan each part of your body during the treatment, and wherever you sense tension, consciously release that tension by allowing your body to become heavier and softer. The motion created by STRETCH will move your body without you needing to exert any effort. In fact, the more you relax, the greater the benefits will be.
2. Enhancing the twist action
For programs that include a twisting movement, the benefits can be further enhanced by adding a gentle turn of the head as described below:
• During a shoulder twist, try turning your head slowly in the direction of the twist. Allow the head to be heavy and the ear to sink down towards the mat. Move the head gently back to centre as the shoulder comes back down, before repeating on the other side.
• During a hip twist, keep the upper body relaxed and both shoulders heavy. Allow the hip to be lifted without resistance. As the right hip lifts, try turning the head to the left side and vice versa. Always move gently and return to a neutral position in between movements. If there is any discomfort in the neck, make the movements smaller or try using a pillow either side to rest the head on as you turn.
3. Using your breath
If you feel tension or slight discomfort during the treatment program, try to visualise directing your breath to the area of tension. Breathe slowly and deeply, in and out through the nose. If it feels okay, you can also try extending the out breath making it up to 50% longer than the in-breath. To get into this rhythm try counting to 4 on the in-breath and 6 on the out-breath. Sink deeper into the mat as you exhale.
4. Try varying your position on the mat
STRETCH has been cleverly designed to work for people of all different shapes and sizes. You can subtly change the feel of your treatments by moving slightly closer to either the top or bottom of the mat as you lie down. The effect will be different for everyone, dependant on your height and proportions, so give it a try and find your favourite position.
5. Get in the habit of regular treatments
Treatments can be repeated as often as feels good for you, but as with anything new, always start gently and build up your regime as your body becomes accustomed. We recommend starting with a gentle ‘stretch’ treatment on level 1 and waiting at least 48 hours before the next treatment. Then slowly build up to daily or twice daily treatments, as desired.
Please note: We recommend checking the support manual if you have a medical condition before purchasing or using STRETCH
- Customer ReviewsHoMedics STRETCH Back Stretching Mat is rated out of 5 by 73.Rated 5 out of 5 by Big Bob from Easy to use Only had it for a week but already feels to have given my back some benefit. Easy to set up and use.Date published: 2019-05-25Rated 5 out of 5 by Sweepy from Hero Product I had an accident three years ago and since then have been in a lot of pain which effects my sleep. I purchased this item and it has been a life changer. I use it nearly every single night and it not only relaxes me and helps me to sleep but it is starting to improve my injured joints. I have had years of seeing trained Physiotherapists who have all failed to make any difference. This mat is enabling me to open and work joints that I could not exercise on my own. Thank you so much Homedics.Date published: 2019-04-09Rated 5 out of 5 by Scrooge from Yoga mat Worth every penny 10 our of 10Date published: 2019-02-28Rated 5 out of 5 by Sudhir from Fantastic I had bad back due to posture. Couldn’t stand for more than an hour. I was tired all the time and even after 7 hrs sleep wanted to go to bed. Thought it’s my time to take B12 booster. I bought this and in 3 sessions my back and shoulder pain gone. I could pull back my shoulders without pain. my energy level has increased so much that I don’t feel tired. I feel lighter and can walk bit faster. At 74 it’s a great boost.Date published: 2019-02-24Rated 5 out of 5 by LouL from GREAT FOR A BAD BACK Great for a bad back and stretching out. Would definitely recommendedDate published: 2019-01-17Rated 5 out of 5 by Chuck from This massage mat is everything it promised to be a I enjoy using this product because it lives up to its advertising promisesDate published: 2019-01-15Rated 5 out of 5 by Versha from Sciatica and Neck Pain Got one for my in-laws 2 weeks ago. They are struggling with sciatica and they find it relatively easy to use but so far they haven’t seen any improvements but not surprising if as suspected the nerve is trappped down the leg. However it does help alleviate the knock on back pain for them. I have for the last 3 years had A severe knot in my neck and was thinking about surgery as the disc has worn out Tried the mat one session it completely freed up my neck pain, it came back with a vengeance the next day but has for the last week disappeared so the may has made a massive difference for my neck pain and generally the stretch (on medium) for me is great. Have bought. 2nd one for us. My wife and kids use it and they love it too Everyone is different so no idea if it will work for you but it is worth a try in my view givenDate published: 2019-01-13Rated 5 out of 5 by Islam from Great product I bought this 3 weeks ago and I m happy with this product..Date published: 2019-01-12
- Q & A
What research evidence is there to support the claims made for this product?Dear Prof Peter, Our product development was supported by the knowledge of a qualified yoga instructor who built the different twist/stretch sequences. There are also many generic research documents in the public domain to support that stretching the back helps to release tension and relax muscles. We also have many genuine reviews on our website endorsing the effectiveness of this product, giving it a 5 out 5 for effectiveness and 4.7 out of 5 overall. Kind Regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-04-26
The Features tab suggests this address lumbar spine stiffness, will it do anything for stiffness in the thoracic spine?Dear Jon1, Yes - our stretch mat targets both the thoracic and lumbar regions. Kind Regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-04-18
Can I use when pregnant?Dear Vicky123, We would always recommend that you consult your medical professional first. They have all the details of your specific case and can make an informed decision. Kind Regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-03-25
I'm only 4ft 11ins, would I be able to use the mat successfull?Dear Friday11, Yes the stretching mat will be suitable for you. It is designed for use by people of all heights. Kind regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-03-14
Can this be used on a bed or full reclining chair as I am unable to get on the floor?Dear Doddie, Yes, You can use this on a firm mattress however you should remove any soft bedding before use. The harder the surface the better the results. Kind regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-03-01
Is the mat suitable, if you're a small person, height wiseDear Auty1, Yes, our stretching mat is suitable for people of all heights. Kind Regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-03-01
Will it improve my posture?Dear Sudhir44, Our Stretch mat encourages flexion, extension and twisting of the spine, all or which can definitely help improve posture over time. We recommend starting gently and building treatments up gradually over a number of weeks. The product comes with detailed instructions and guidance which will help you to tailor the treatments for your own current level of flexibility. Kind Regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-02-12
How does the mat work for 5ft people and 6 Ft people? Can you alter length of mat?Dear Loop, The mat is designed to be used from your head to your lower back. You can also position yourself on the mat to stretch the desired areas of your back. Kind Regards, HoMedics Customer ServicesDate published: 2019-02-12